Thursday, February 1, 2018

CMBA Profile: Classic Movie Man




The CMBA profiles one of our classic movie blogs each month. This month we're featuring Stephen Reginald, of Classic Movie Man
A look at Classic Movie Man is like being invited to a great film festival. Stephen Reginald, the writer of Classic Movie Man, posts news about local screenings in Chicago, meetups, and presentations he's giving, and his love of classic film comes across in everything he writes. One section, "The Film Club," is dedicated specially to these kinds of local events. Stephen has also lectured on classic movies at the Facets Film School, and this article in Chicago Magazine makes it sound like these discussions were too fun to miss out on.

Stephen would like you to take a look at his post about Ida Lupino, a well-researched but very readable examination of the career of an often-overlooked talented actress and director. Here's what Stephen had to say in response to our questions:

1. What sparked your interest in classic film?  
Back in the day before cable TV, classic movies were on broadcast TV all the time. I used to watch classic films with my father whose favorite movie was "The Four Feathers" (1939). He was 16 years old when it was released. I wrote a blog post about it.
2.  What makes a film a "classic" in your opinion? 
That's a tough one because it's so subjective. I sum up my opinion on the subject in the header for my blog: "What qualifies as a classic film or movie is somewhat subjective. There are certain films which endure because they strike an emotional chord long after their initial release. For example, a movie like "Casablanca" (1942) would qualify as a classic under that definition."
3.  What classic film(s) do you recommend to people who say they hate old movies? 
I generally like to know something about the individual before I recommend a classic film(s), but one classic that hardly ever misses is "Rear Window." It's in color, it's beautiful to look at, has a wonderful cast of classic film stars and character actors, and it's Alfred Hitchcock at the peak of his powers. It's a winner that hasn't lost its luster.
4.  Why should people care about classic film?  
Film is an art form and to fully understand you need to have some knowledge of its beginnings. For example, to fully understand modern/contemporary art, you need to have some knowledge the Old Masters.
5.  What is the most rewarding thing about blogging? 
Sharing my love of classic movies with others. I love it when someone says they want to see a movie based on a blog post I wrote. 
6.  What challenges do you face with your blog, and how do you overcome them? 
Time is a problem for every blogger, I think. I try to plan my posts, but I don't think I'm entirely successful in doing so. I have tried to incorporate some regular features, which helps with content creation. For example, I've done an annual classic Christmas movie blog post every year since 2010.
7.  What advice would you give to a new blogger?  
Write about the movies you enjoy most. Develop your own style and don't try to be like other bloggers. I enjoy reading other movie blogs because they're creative and offer something different than what I'm doing.

Thanks so much, Stephen! We'll see you at the popcorn stand!


1 comment:

  1. Stephen's blog is never predictable. Makes for great reading...but all his classic film screenings does make one a little jealous...

    ReplyDelete